Kiel Business Development Agency (KiWi)
The KIWI GmbH are the business consultants of Kiel - federal state capital of Schleswig-Holstein - and contractors for economical success. We are actively engaged in working with businesses, the public administration and universities as well promoting a wide range of services and innovative products, along with settlements of companies and corporate developments of any branch and size. We support investors, and market business locations, as well as develop our own urban commercial areas and configure conversion areas. Currently work – living – leisure utilizations modules are being realized as part of a 75 hectares “Future on the Waterfront” project. Besides a private wharf, commercial and industrial buildings have been optimally developed to utilize existing infrastructure.
Kiel Business Development Agency
Kieler Wirtschaftsförderungs- und Strukturentwicklungsgesellschaft mbH (KiWi)
Wissenschaftspark Kiel – Neufeldt Haus
Fraunhoferstraße 2-424118 Kiel, Germany
Dr. Andreas Borchardt, Projectmanager
Information about the RIS3 of the partner region:
Regional level document: “Regional Innovation Strategy Schleswig-Holstein“
Legal owner: Ministry of Economic Affairs, Employment, Transport and Technology of the state of Schleswig-Holstein
Key challenges for innovation policy
The key challenge for innovation policy in Schleswig-Holstein is the same as is it for the rest of Europe – to become more competitive and to foster more dense and efficient cooperation between R&D&I institutions and companies.
Smart Specialisation areas in Schleswig-HolsteinSmart Specialisation areas that were selected on regional level for Schleswig-Holstein are:
- Nutrition industry (diversification and individualisation of grocery supply, green biotechnology, conservation and cooling technologies)
- ICT & media (ICT for maritime economy and logistics, e-energy, e-health with telemedicine and imaging processes, Software Systems Engineering, security, e-government, micro-mechanical/electric components)
- Renewable energies (services/logistics, biomass, energy efficient technologies, expansion of offshore wind energy, software for renewable energies, energy and drive technology, nano-particles, materials, coatings)
- Life sciences (medical technology/surgery technology, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, diagnostics, therapies, imaging, laboratory equipment, implantology)
- Maritime economy (maritime technologies, specialised ship construction, offshore energy (wind, oil, gas), maritime biotechnology, production facilities, wind parks, facilities to refuel ships with LNG or other alternative fuels, innovative harbour infrastructures for the cruise economy).
Main objectives of the RiS3The innovation policy in Schleswig-Holstein is focused on the following four major goals:
- Strengthening of research, development and innovation capacity in science, economy and society
- Enhancement of competitiveness, especially for SMEs through enlargement and continuous improvement of innovation support
- Enlargement of R&D-activities to implement the energy transition and reduction of CO2-emission in all economic sectors
- Enhancement of quality and impact of the regional system for education and qualification to foster the development of the knowledge-based economy.
The activities specified in the RIS3 strategy are funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF). Nearly 79% (215.5 Million €) of the total ERDF-budget (271.2 Million €) is divided between the five smart specialization areas.
- Life sciences
- Maritime economy
- ICT & media
- Nutrition industry
- Renewable energies
Additional funding is available at the national level.